Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lickety Split Baby Quilt

It is Wednesday, but you probably already knew that.  Wednesdays around here mean church visitation, youth choir practice, visiting with my dear elderly friend, flute lesson, church service, etc., etc.  As I was thinking about all that this morning, I wondered if a friend who delivered a baby boy last Wednesday (her second child) would be at the service.  Then *snap* a thought hit me.  Don't worry--it didn't hurt that much.  I.  had.  not.  made.  her.  a.  baby.  quilt.  You see, I make I Spy quilts for the first baby in a family.  After that I make a non-I-Spy...they all vary.

Fortunately, I had to take two rows off a Texas Braid quilt I made for myself and my husband.  It is yet to be quilted.  I like to make my baby quilts between 36-40" square.  I cut my rows of TB in thirds, which happened to be 36" long.  Since they started at 12" wide, 3 of them = 36"  !!  I love it when a plan comes together.

Here is a pic of just the top, which took about 20 minutes to cut and then sew into this piece.

I like to use up strips of batting, so here I am piecing them together.  I use a long, wide zigzag stitch.  I had to use 5 pieces to make a 40" square piece, but it only took about 10 minutes to piece.  Definitely worth it.
This is a close-up of stacked hearts I machine pieced in all the dark rows.  I keep trying to make "feathers" but they all look like hearts.  But that's OK--it's a baby quilt!
Here in the cream I just did small loops.  I like it!
Here is a pic of the whole quilted top.  I had just cut the binding strips when "lunchtime!" was called down the stairs.  One of my favorite words.  Now I'm headed back down to put the binding on.  I'd like to deliver this Sunday if I can.

~Mama Joan

1 comment:

  1. I am VERY impressed! I really like this pattern and have put it on my list of "one of these days"!

    ReplyDelete