Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Log Cabin Top Finished...Back, Too!


Bethany's quilt top and back are finished!  I pushed through and got them both done today. 

The only consistent thing about the center of the top is that I used all the same red for the center of each block (which finishes at 3/4" square).  If I had a piece left of a 1-1/2" wide strip that was too small to use in a future block I sewed them end to end to fashion a label for the back.

There were two fairly large pieces of gold in my large scrap box.  I put one on both side of the strip mentioned above and added a large cream piece in the middle, enough to write on.  I enlarged it for the last picture.  Just enough space for a memory!  This is the first time I've pieced a label right in to the backing, and I.  like.  it.

Gold is one color that doesn't work out well in my Thimbleberries scrap quilts unless it's featured as the "light" like in this snowball quilt.  It's not light enough to play nicely with the lights, and not dark enough to play nice with the darks.  So I'm determined to use up the small pieces for quilt backs like this.  So much more interesting than one piece of fabric, no?

Taking a break to get cleaned up for church tonight.

~Joan

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Log cabins are among my most favorite blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea for the "label" I will have to keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great gift! Good idea - the crock pot idea was good too. I see you are cranking them out again! Today I made one table runner top and started the second one. I bought 2 kits in Sturgis, SD that were marked 40% off. I rarely buy kits, but I figured I could make up the table runners to sell or give. We are in Upper Michigan and our truck needs a new transmission, so I started sewing while DH was at the shop. It feels good to get some sewing done.

    ReplyDelete